Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Road Not Taken

So, as I was driving in this morning, I was listening to my new favorite song, "Sound of Madness" by Shinedown. It's basically a cry of frustration from the singer to presumably a romantic interest who blames all of her problems on her bipolar disorder, but refuses to get seek help. He confirms that he, too, suffers from mental illness, but he's chosen to deal with it.

One of the reasons I'm so fond of this song is because I can relate -- oddly enough, both personally and professionally. My work these days is primarily around mental disorders and the treatments, and one of the biggest issues is that many people either won't take the drugs at all or stop taking them. From a personal perspective, I have friends, family and romantic attachments who have refused or ceased treatment as well. The results have not been pretty. We're talking divorces, estrangements, hospitalization, substance abuse, suicide attempts and unfortunately, completion.

I've read a ton of research and I understand the issues -- the side effects, the complications and the not-feeling-like-yourself, among others. But what I don't understand is the complete giving up. Believe me, I'm not unsympathetic. I have more than my share of issues and I've been down in that hole more than a couple of times. But when I see that it's hurting other people in my life, it's time to do something.

I know that the drugs are not for everyone. But there are other options -- exercise, yoga, counseling, diet changes, hypnosis and herbal treatments, just to name a few. And yes, I know that mental illness severely inhibits initiative and motivation. But to not even try? When someone offers to help? When you can see that it's destroying relationships?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this except venting my frustration at people who won't get help and let it ruin their lives and those of others. Shinedown guy, I hear you and I'm giving you a virtual high five for choosing to fight rather than spending eternity in that pit of dispair.

No comments: