Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lessons from the Jungle Cruise

So I just returned from a week's reprieve at the Happiest Place on Earth. It's funny, because in a lot of ways, I'm pretty jaded, but I still get goosebumps when I ride Pirates of the Caribbean and I have to smile when my 7-year-old niece and 5-year-old nephew run up to Stitch and beg for autographs.

This trip was a little different though because now my niece (no, not the 7-year-old, this one is 21) works there so we got to see things from a totally different perspective.

Let's face it -- I wouldn't last 5 minutes at a job like this. I can't stand the idiot questions I get from my supposedly professional co-workers, much less completely clueless tourists. But after watching my niece and her friends at work, I noticed something. They get frustrated too, but they've also learned how to have a good time with it. And they make the most out of the limited creative license they have -- yes, many of the jokes are standard, but they add their own and turn what could be a totally monotonous job into something of an acting career.

Don't worry. I'm not going to start cracking bad jokes. Remember, I'm the chick with no sense of humor. But I am going to try to remember that I'm a creative at heart and use my limited creative license to have some fun.

1 comment:

Michelle Medley said...

Don't forget you have a pirate's heart for the adventure on the High Seas, and this will carry you far, lass.

I'd sail under your command any time. Yoho!