Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Random Thoughts

I've been dealing with a diverse group of people lately -- between clients, vendors, co-workers, family members, friends, former prom dates, it's struck me that you can kinda tell a little bit about people from their perspectives on books, movies and music.

I have one client who is the biggest Metallica fan I've ever met. He's even talked his wife into having "Nothing Else Matters" played at his funeral. On the surface you might wonder what a 40-something is doing listening to Metallica, but really, it's something he's listened to since he was younger. He's just stayed true to his tastes.

My sister-in-law and I argue about the ending of Watchmen. Spoiler-ish if you haven't seen it yet. She thinks that Rorshach should have just kept his mouth shut. I understand why he couldn't. And that's the difference in our basic philosophies. She's OK with someone who knows more about the situation making the decisions. I want all of the information, so that I can decide for myself.

With respect to books, I've tried about 100 times to read James Joyce's Ulysses. And I give up after just a few pages. And now I think I've figured out why. I don't like failure, and if I can't make sense of the first 15 pages, I'm going to feel like an idiot when I get to the end of the book and still don't get it.

Probably nothing you haven't thought of before, but just some observations. Oh, and the name Trixter? Based on my cat, but I've since learned that there is a pagan god called a Trickster that likes to create alternate realities and play with people's minds. I don't even want to think about what that means. :)

3 comments:

Scissor Girl said...

Loving your blog entries, lady. Keeping giving me things to think about, random or otherwise. :)

Trixter said...

Thanks! Are you coming back to the blogosphere?

Scissor Girl said...

I don't know. I might make the trip back. Still thinking about it. I have plenty to say but not a whole lot of will. Sigh. Spring is here. Maybe that will help.