Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Smoke and Mirrors

Recently, we hired an SVP of Hoodoo. She comes complete with a MBA, which of course around here makes her a Genius and the Smartest Person Alive.

She deigned to enlighten some of us who are apparently only apprentice witches (who mistakenly thought we were fully qualified years ago) through a meeting that was supposed to explain all about how her mad hoodoo skilz could make our brand of voodoo more powerful.

After an hour of what can only be described as puffery and bragging about various hexes and curses and how happy her clients were with the results, we still didn't have a clue about what she could do for us. We *know* that magic is the critical component to our industry. But access to the particular brand of hoodoo the SVP supposedly practices was cut along with a number of employees a couple of years ago.

What I would have like to hear from her is:

* What type of hexes and curses are available?
* How can I leverage a particular hex to motivate my clients to make the right decisions?
* Are voodoo dolls still effective or do I need to look at Voodoo 3.0 for more innovative executions?

And so on. Instead, we got insults about how un-insights-driven our work has been and she even had the cajones to take on another SVP (who has been in this industry for YEARS) and tell her how wrong her thinking was.

I'm sure as we move forward, I'll grow to respect her. But until then, I just think she's a huge witch who can kiss my asterisk.

2 comments:

Scissor Girl said...

Um, I just read her company-wide email introducing herself to everyone. That was a really snarky, unprofessional first impression. Talk about blog material! I hope the first impression isn't a lasting one, especially if you have to interact with her regularly. I feel like I should send you a sympathy card.

Michelle Medley said...

The message you have posted here is absolute magic itself. Love the style and creativity - it's the kind of magic I can believe in with all my powers.

You have more power than you know, my strong friend. You have already withstood many attacks from evil spirits. I think you can withstand this latest Bruja 3.0.